Are you fond of rice beer? But pondering whether it is good for health or not? Well, learn rice beer recipe a homemade beer, which contains a number of nutritional values.
One of the traditional alcoholic beverages that play a vital role in socio-cultural lives of people especially in the north India is Rice beer. In north India, most of the tribes consume prepare their own Rice beer recipe and consume it on a regular basis in various forms. People believe that Rice beer recipe possess a number of medicinal and therapeutic properties.
Usually, Rice beer recipe is prepared with rice through the process of fermentation using yeast and several plant materials.
For north Indians, Rice beer is a traditionally alcoholic beverage and it is a very common part of their life. This drink is also preferred by Tibetans at funerals & celebrations, while working as well as playing, and at all ages. Even, kids get a little taste of rice beer and many elders drink it as well. Most of the people in the Tibet and northeastern India can’t afford to purchase alcohol however they can easily make Rice beer on their own, since they grow their own rice and it is even good for health.
Generally, in Tibet, Rice beer is called as chang and it is made from barley, whereas in exile, where barley is not common, other grains are used. In Tibetan communities in India, people use rice or millet. In few areas of Arunachal Pradesh, that are close to Tibet, also use barley.
Ingredients of used to prepare of Rice beer recipe
- Jasmine rice 5 cups (except basmati any white rice is okay)
- Normal quantity of water you would use to cook for rice.
- 1 full tablespoon of dry yeast (pab or chanzi).
How to make Rice beer recipe
- In order to prepare Rice beer recipe, one significant thing is that your containers and work surfaces and hands should be very clean, free particularly of oil or salt, which ruins your Rice beer recipe.
- Thoroughly wash & dry a large container containing a lid to put rice in for fermentation. You can also use pot. Prepare clean surface to work with rice after it is cooked well. Clear your kitchen table & laid down a large, new, and clean plastic bag on it.
- Wash hands thoroughly.
Making the Rice beer recipe
- Grind sufficient yeast for 1 full tablespoon to a fine powder.
- Normally cook rice as you would do. Use rice cooker, with 5 cups of jasmine rice, & water filled to the 5 cup line.
- Once rice is cooked, stir it around the rice in rice cooker or pot cooked it in. You would like to sort of loosen & fluff the rice up – you do not want it packy or clumpy.
- Spread rice onto a very clean working surface and make it cool. Work through rice when it cools sufficient to touch, loosening up clumpy bits.
- You would like to cool the rice so that there is a little bit of heat left, really do not very warm at all, sort of a lukewarm temperature.
- If rice is too hot when you add yeast, you a get sour taste.
- If rice is too cold, it takes longer to ferment, which is fine, if you have time.
- Spray ground up yeast over the rice, and then blend it in very well with clean hands.
- Pour the mixture of rice in a prepared container.
- Cover it with lid.
- Swaddle it like a baby in a couple of warm blankets.
Fermentation and After
For 4-5 days, leave it in a warm place. In the meantime, do not open it. It would be ready, when it is started to smell the fermentation strongly, or after 7 days open it up. The main method you will be able to tell it is ready to consume is that it smells like it has fermented, a bit like an alcoholic.
Once rice beer is done, transfer it to another clean container, and add around 3 cups of water, & then put it in the refrigerator. It’s up to you how much water you want to add to make your rice beer stronger or weaker.
Although the rice beer is already fermented, wait for 24 hours or so after you can add the water prior to you starts drinking it. Keep this rice beer mixture in the fridge for a while, perhaps months, or even longer.
How to drink the rice beer
Rice beer can be drunk in two ways:
One way to strain out rice pieces & drink thin, milky liquid
Another way to drink rice beer is to keep the rice, & to blend the contents of a container, as is, with some khapse, sugar, dried cheese and butter, and heat all and consume it.