Atherosclerosis is a condition in which cholesterol calcium and biochemical waste are deposited in the walls of blood vessels. It is an underlying cause of most heart attacks and strokes.
The principle of diet:
A low calorie, complex carbohydrates, normal protein, restricted fat, low sodium and potassium, high fibre, high vitamins and mineral diet should be provided.
- Whole milk should be avoided.
- HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is good cholesterol that helps to prevent atherosclerosis.
- Omega 3 fatty acids should be included which protects the heart from clots and inflammation and reduces the risk of heart strokes.
- Drinks and alcohol will be raising blood pressure and triglyceride level. Hence should be restricted.
- Salt should be taken in low amounts.
- Potassium should be restricted as it results in an irregular heartbeat and may result in death. Hence, Leached fruits and vegetables should be given.
Foods to be included for
Deep sea fish, omega 3 fish oil like salmon and tuna, soy milk, almonds, oatmeal, oat bran(contains high amounts of soluble fiber), brown rice, wheat pasta, legumes such as kidney beans, lentils, and chickpea can also be included.
Foods to be avoided for Atherosclerosis diet:
Saturated fats, trans-fat, cholesterol, refined carbohydrates like sugar foods, soft drinks, sweet baked foods, and salt were avoided. Whole milk dairy products including yogurt, cheese, ice creams, margarine, fried foods, egg yogurt, organ meats are not be included.
Sample diet for atherosclerosis
|Early morning||Black tea||1 Cup|
|Breakfast||Rice flour dosa||2 no's|
|Tomato chutney||1/2 serving|
|Sweet corn||1 Cup|
|Fish curry||1/2 serving|
|Tea time||Green tea||1 Cup|
|Oats upma||1 serving|