Foods good for your heart is the most trending topic in our society. Why we need good foods for the heart? How does heart affect us? All these and many other questions surround our mind in various ways. So, here we are going to discuss few of them.
According to the Best Cardiologist in Hyderabad Heart is the major organ of the body. We have to take extraneous care of the heart. Due to the changes in the food habits, individuals lifestyle every human is affected with one or the other disease.
Many best Interventional cardiologist in Hyderabad suggest us to take intense care of health by changing the food habits according to our age. The heart can be affected due to several infinite reasons. But all those can be controlled with the proper diet and the good food we eat.
The best cardiologist surgeon in Hyderabad explained the below reasons behind the various Heart diseases:
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes for long period of time.
- High blood pressure.
- The increase of cholesterol levels within the body.
- Congenital heart disorders which occur at the time of birth.
- Excess consumption of alcohol or other harmful drinks.
- Continuous smoking.
Types of Heart Diseases:
Let us see the different types of heart diseases which are mentioned by the best cardiologist in Hyderabad India.
- Rheumatic heart disease
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Heart Attack
- Heart Failure
- Heart Valve Disease
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Congenital Heart Disease
To get the detailed explanation of these heart diseases.
Do you know there are different food items according to the type of Heart Diseases?
The best pediatric cardiologist in Hyderabad recommended the below foods categorized according to the Heart Diseases:
Foods to eat after heart attack: Most people survive after a first heart attack and many of them neglect their food habit which leads to serious heart diseases. Here are the few precautions of food to be considered.
- Fruits and juices
- Dark chocolate in limit
- Skinless poultry and fish
- Oils as olive oil
- Eat nuts every day.
Healthy meals after heart surgery: After heart surgery, it is difficult to recover immediately and it takes more patience and time. One must follow the below steps to recover early.
- Take more vegetable soups with less salt and other spices.
- Cauliflower soup with almonds is great food for heart surgery people.
- Eat low-fat food items
- Avoid saturated foods
Foods to eat after open heart surgery: open heart surgery people should avoid eating outside food with high-fat content. Consider the below points to make the healthy diet.
- Eat more protein foods
- Eat small meals for every 2 hours.
- Drink more juices
- Intake of the high amount of nutrients is a must.
- Add fish for minimum twice a week in your meals
Along with the listed food items here, one must also consider the below-given foods list which are good for the heart and which make heart healthy.
Steps to be taken after any heart treatment along with the foods for the healthy heart:
- Wound care: Keep the surgery area clean and dry. Add medication if necessary. Never itch or keep it wet.
- Medication: Take proper medication prescribed by the doctor on time and never skip any medication.
- Activities: Never be lazy. Start daily activities slowly and boost yourself continuously. Try to be more active and energize always.
- Foods: Try to eat meals in small quantity with some time lapse as after surgery you may not want to eat meals.
- Be Strong: Surgery disturbs emotionally and physically. Be strong in both ways. Keep calm and don't take the unnecessary stress.
- Spirit up: Always encourage yourself, don't feel low or depressed. Dress well, Start walking daily, work on you hobbies and other social activities, engage more with people, don't sit alone, get good sleep.
- Consult Doctor: Always consult doctor for diet plan and go for monthly check ups until your are fit and recovered totally.
Here is the list of top 50 best foods good for your heart :
- Salmon: It is rich in vitamin B, D, omega-3 fatty acids, potassium, proteins and other nutrients. It is considered as the best food for the heart diseased people. It decreases the risk of heart attacks, strokes, heart arrhythmia, controls blood pressure and diabetes, improves metabolism in the heart. Eat at least 2-3 times a week to maintain healthy heart.
- Liver: According to William Davis, MD, a Wisconsin-based preventive cardiologist and author of Wheat Belly liver contains good fat which keeps heart healthy and makes it stronger. Eating liver in limit will not cause excess fat in the body.
- Chicken: It strengthens bones, protects the heart, boosts immune system, prevents from heart attacks. It contains vitamin B6, B12, proteins and other nutrients. When eating chicken always consider organic, pasteurized and local farm chicken as they are having more health benefits than stored chicken.
- Peanuts: These have a high amount of mono and polyunsaturated fat which helps in smooth blood flow in the heart. Add peanuts to your meals and other food items.
- Walnuts: These nuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants which lowers cholesterol levels and inflammations in the body. It protects the heart from harmful molecules.
- Almonds: It contains Vitamin B2, E, Magnesium, and Zinc. All these have the capacity to reduce stress, control mood swings, antioxidants which make heart much stronger. Soak almonds overnight in water, take off peal and eat early in the morning.
- Raisins: They have the power to lower blood pressure, stress and bad cholesterol if taken thrice a day. It also protects arteries. It works more effectively when taken with soy milk
- Blue Berries: These are rich in vitamin C, fiber, and calcium which protect heart valves from valve diseases and reduce heart risks.
- Raspberries: It contains the high amount of polyphenols antioxidants which control radicals in the heart. It also contains fibers, nutrients and other minerals which help in reduction of heart stroke risk.
- Avocado: It is the great source of potassium, nutrients, anti-inflammation properties, oleic-acid. These all will protect the heart from chronic disorders, reduces cholesterol, and decreases symptoms of arteries and other heart diseases.
- Cherries: It improves sleep, increases heart blood flow. It contains a high number of flavonoids and anti-oxidant properties. It reduces the risk of heart attacks, especially in women. Eat raw cherries daily.
- Flax seeds: These are the good source of poly-unsaturated and omega-3 fatty acids along with other minerals. This strengthens the heart, controls heart rhythms and other functionalities.
- Chia seeds: It boosts the immune system, reduces heart disease causes as it contains high quantity of omega-3 and other fatty acids. It also lowers insulin intake for diabetes and controls blood pressure.
- Pumpkin seeds: It is rich in zinc, magnesium, proteins, calcium and other vitamins which help in making heart blood vessels stronger and healthier. Add these seeds in your daily food menu and consume regularly.
- Black beans: It contains folate, magnesium, and other nutrients which lowers blood pressure and controls heart rhythms.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain vitamin A, B, C, E. They contain low fat, high fiber content. All these make the heart stronger. Tomatoes control arteries prevent from cell damages, lowers heart stroke risks.
- Soy: soy foods are very rich in nutrients and proteins. It decreases the heart diseases rate especially in women and It lowers bad cholesterol. Soy foods can be a part of the very good diet for anyone.
- Potatoes: These consists of vitamins, minerals, proteins, fiber supports heart health and makes it much stronger and prevents heart diseases. It also helps in the regular flow of blood without any clots.
- Legumes: These are various types such as chickpeas, mung beans, lentil which have the good amount of proteins, calcium, zinc, minerals and other compounds. All these make body and heart fit and strong. Consumption of legumes ones in a while also gives heart many health benefits.
- Beetroot: It controls hypertension and lowers blood pressure. It treats various heart diseases as it contains nitrate and other proteins. Prefer to drink beetroot juice every day.
- Broccoli: It is rich in potassium, magnesium, Vitamin C, E, fiber, calcium, folate, and others which protects the heart from harmful diseases and prevents heart attacks and heart strokes.
- Cauliflower: It is rich in vitamin C, K, folates and fatty acids such as pantothenic acid which prevents heart diseases. The antioxidant elements present in cauliflower prevents a blood clot in the heart.
- Onion: The flavonoids present in the onions and the compounds present in onions works as anti-blood clotting system, it prevents blood vessels damages, makes heart bones stronger. Add onion in your daily food routine and make it a part of the food. Red onions are preferred more compared to white onions.
- Brussels sprouts: These sprouts are rich in vitamin K, C, B, folate, fiber, calcium and other nutrients. It detoxes the body. It clears the bad cholesterol from heart blood vessels and has other heart health benefits.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are packed with vitamins D, nutrients, calcium, proteins and other minerals. It boosts the immune system, it maintains cardiovascular elasticity, lowers cholesterol.
- Sweet potatoes: These are called as nutrients powerhouse. It is very rich in nutrients and antioxidant which has many amazing health benefits, especially for the heart.
- Asparagus: It contains vitamin K, fiber called saponins which stops cholesterol from absorbing nutrients and other nutrients which prevents blood clots and controls blood pressure. Add this to your daily diet.
Green Leafy Veggies:
- Spinach: It holds a large quantity of potassium, proteins, vitamin K, A, etc. It protects the heart from many cardiovascular diseases. It can be consumed in many forms such as curry, side dish, main course, salad, juice, starter, etc.
- Swiss chard: It is a dark green leafy vegetable. It is rich in sodium and has a high content. It contains vitamin A, C, K, minerals, nutrients which control heart diseases, prevents heart blockage and other diseases. It is really super food. Add this to salads or food menu and intake regularly.
- Kale: It contains omega-3 fatty acids called alpha-linolenic acid which is rich in vitamins. It prevents plaque formation in the arteries. It also contains lutein, a nutrition which protects the heart from cardiac arrest and heart strokes.
- Oranges: Oranges are rich in vitamin A, C, proteins, potassium, etc. It strengthens one's emotional body, controls arrhythmia, reduces stress, clears bad cholesterol and has many other amazing health benefits.
- Pomegranate: It contains punicalagin antioxidant which helps in improving heart health. It reduces toxic levels and stress. It's anti-inflammatory has the amazing benefits for the heart. It reduces LDL oxidants. Prefer to drink more pomegranate juice frequently.
- Apple: We all know the very famous saying An apple a day, keeps the doctor away. As they said Apple has infinite health benefits and it cures various diseases. It holds a very good percentage of nutrients, fibe, and vitamin c. It regulates blood sugar, clears the fat found in bloodstreams, protects heart from many diseases, controls heart rhythms and many other.
- Grapes: All the types of grapes such as red, black and green grapes are having wide number of health benefits. It contains vitamins, nutrients, proteins, minerals which helps in reduction of heart risks such as strokes, irregular heart rhythms, arteries diseases and many others.
- Avocado oil: It is rich in vitamin E, B, k, fiber and other nutrients. The oil extracted from avocado also has many outstanding health benefits. It can be used in many food dishes instead of vegetable oil specially for sprouts, salads other food items. It protects from oxygen-based damage, decreases blood fat, controls blood pressure and plays a crucial role in smooth blood flow in the heart.
- Olive oil: It is filled with nutrients and minerals which lower inflammation, controls heart diseases, prevent blood pressure. It is the extract of olive fruit. It can be replaced with butter, coconut oil, etc. Add this for salad dressing, can make grills, fries, used for seasoning and can be a substitute for any type of cooking oil.
- Dark chocolates: Chocolates are everyone's favourite and now many researches proved it has many health benefits and does a very good job for heart. It contains antioxidants which blocks atherosclerosis a type of arteries hardening which may cause heart strokes and heart attacks.
- Red wine: For men maximum is 2 glasses and for women 1 glass per day is advised by the doctors. Red wine improves good cholesterol levels. As it is made of red grapes, the skin of these red grapes protects from many cardiovascular diseases and increases arterial health.
- Green tea: It holds antioxidants known as polyphenols and catechins which clears all toxics from the body and prevents cell damage from the heart. It also regulates other heart diseases. Highly recommended to drink twice a day.
- Coffee: Study performed in Harvard University in 2015 proved that coffee has amazing health benefits as it contains phytochemicals. It stimulates the nervous system, free fatty acids, reduces heart strokes.
- Oat meal: It is filled with vitamin B, Zinc, proteins, magnesium, manganese, fiber and other which helps in protecting heart from any damage, removes LDL cholesterol from valves, prevents heart failures.
- Brown rice: It is rich in copper, vitamin B, magnesium and other nutrients. It slows down the progression of atherosclerosis which is a process of creating plaques which narrows the blood vessels and the blood flow is decreased, controls blood pressure.
- Wheat: It is rich in fiber, copper, manganese and other nutrients. It has the power to reduce the LDL cholesterol, lowers blood pressure, and prevents heart strokes and other diseases.
- Barley: It is full of vitamin B, fiber, molybdenum, selenium which protects from cardiovascular risk factors, removes radicals from blood vessel walls, prevents heart failures and strokes. It has special heart benefits for women.
- Ginger: It reduces the risk of various chronic conditions in the body. It increases longevity, removes blood clots and controls heart strokes and heart attacks.
- Cinnamon: It reduces bad cholesterol in the heart. It contains anti-blood blockage properties which stops blood clots in the heart and increases blood flow. Add cinnamon in food or make cinnamon powder and honey paste and eat daily twice.
- Garlic: Garlic endor the blood flow in the heart and removes bad cholesterol from the valves. Either chew raw garlic or add in food dishes. Regular intake of garlic is very good for health.
- Milk: Milk contains high amount calcium which strengthens heart muscles and lowers blood pressure
- Low Fat yogurt: Yogurt has the power to make bones strong. It contains high amount of potassium and calcium which controls blood pressure. Always consider low fat yogurt.?
- Reduced-Fat cheese: Research done by University of Copenhagen discovered the cheese benefits for heart. Cheese is considered as fat but the unsaturated fat cheese helps in reduction of heart risks. It controls LDL cholesterol and lowers the risk rate of heart diseases.
Not only food will keep heart healthy but exercises will also play a vital role in making healthy heart and healthy life. Regular exercises will keep body healthy and prevents from all sorts of diseases. The exercises include Yoga, Meditation, walking, etc. To know the yoga exercises for heart
Precautions to be taken for the foods to eat after open heart surgery and other heart diseases:
- Eat more quantity of fruits and vegetables.
- Add less-sodium and low-fat products in your diet.
- Maintain a proper diet and follow it.
- Never skip any of the meals.
- Do regular exercise which makes body fit and healthy and energizes heart.
- Take medication at proper time and do not skip them.
Hope this article about the best foods for heart disease gave you the detailed glimpse on heart diseases and best food for heart attack patients. Read out our other articles related to heart and its importance.
Always eat Healthy! Stay Healthy! Keep others Healthy!
"Share your advice here on this post"
Author's Bio: Ashreetha Pendkar Is a Healthcare writer, trainer and Digital marketing expert, she loves to read healthcare content and spreading her words about the importance of the health to near & dears.