Cracked fissures or feet are caused usually due to neglecting foot care. The skin on the feet is dry and its skin lacks the presence of any oil glands. Hence, due to overexposure to dirt and sun, lack of proper moisturizing and even due to certain medical problems the feet can dry up and start cracking.
This problem can occur in everyone however, it is more common in diabetic patients who are in their older age. In some cases, deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids and zinc can also cause cracked feet.
Causes of Cracked Feet
Cracked feet can occur in anyone. Some of the common causes of cracked heels include:
- Atopic dermatitis
- Dry skin
- Psoriasis, more often palmoplantar psoriasis
- Juvenile plantar dermatosis
- Palmoplantar keratoderma
- Systemic conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes that dry the skin
- Excessive obesity or weight
- Dry thickened skin
- Prolonged standing on hard surfaces or floorings
- Open-back shoes with no support pad under the foot
Symptoms of Cracked Feet
- Red and flaky patches
- Rough skin around the rim of the feet and on the feet
- Cracks on the underside of fissures or the feet
- Rashes accompanied by itching
- Bleeding from the cracks
- Worsening of symptoms during the cold weather
Treatment for Cracked Heels
The best way to treat the cracked heels is first to prevent its onset. You can stop the heels from cracking by using a good moisturizing cream regularly. This will keep the skin hydrated and supple. You can make use of the various heel balms containing descaling keratolytic or humectant/water-retaining agents such as:
- Salicylic acid
- Saccharide isomerate
- Alpha-hydroxy acids
You can also perform some self-treatment at home by applying gel, spray bandage or liquid moisturizer to reduce the pain caused due to cracked heels and to protect them from further damage. This will help in rapid recovery. Following the basic feet care steps such as debridement, strapping, using insoles with heel cups or heel padding can be helpful.
"we would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on this article"
Add new comment