Pulihora with lemon is a popular and delicious south Indian dish. It is normally called as lemon rice. It is part of a festive feast or a part of a simple meal. This fragrant, zesty rice is spiced up with the green chilies and also an extra ginger kick.
And the lemon adds the great fresh summery taste and tanginess to the rice, while the turmeric gives the dish a beautiful golden color. This healthy Pulihora imparts a special aroma by tempering and it is much liked even by the kids. Finally the ingredient which takes this dish to a new level is the nuts.
Cooking rice is convenient and you can spend less time in the kitchen. The rice is gluten-free, easily digestible and nutritious. Lemon rice tastes even better with the vegetables. You can prepare this dish either with the leftover rice or with the freshly cooked rice.
Nutrition per serving:
|Calories||Protein||Total fat||Saturated fat||Carbohydrates||sodium||fibre||sugar|
|243||6 g||6 g||1 g||40 g||973 mg||2 g||1 g|
Preparation timings: 15 minutes
Serves: Makes 2-3 servings
Ingredients for Lemon Rice :
- Rice- 2 cups
- Fresh green peas- 1/2 cup
- Sliced potatoes- 1/2 cup
- Sliced capsicum- 1/2 cup
- Sliced beans- 1/2 cup
- Green chilies- 4 numbers
- Red chilies- 4 numbers
- Grated garlic- 1 tsp
- Roasted chana dal- 1 Tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 springs
- Urad dal- 2 tbsp
- Black gram- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 Tsp
- Oil- 4 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 3 Tsp
- Groundnuts- 1 Tsp
- Asafoetida- 1 Tsp
- Salt- to taste
Method for Lemon Rice :
- First, you need to cook rice and keep separately in a bowl so that it cools down.
- Then take the salt and lemon juice and mix it with rice.
- Then cut capsicum, beans, and potatoes into slices and boil it.
- Blend garlic and green chillies to a paste in a blender.
- Take a pan, add the little oil and red chilies, beans, Bengal gram, mustard seeds, groundnut, black gram and cook it until the dal turns in to golden color.
- Then add asafoetida, curry leaves, boiled vegetables, green chilies, turmeric powder and cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Then add garlic paste and salt into it.
- Saute it and add this mixture to the cooked rice.
- Tasty Pulihora with lemon and vegetables is ready to serve.
Note: cook the rice separately in a saucepan, rice cooker or a pressure cooker. Make sure that you don't overcook the rice else the lemon rice will become mushy. Make sure that the grains are separate and mix the mixture with the rice once it gets cool. Don't mix it while the rice is still hot.
Serve lemon rice with a salad, plain yogurt or papadams for the simple, yet tasty meal. The easy Pulihora can also be enjoyed with the delicious sides. The potato fry would be the best for vegetarians and for the non-vegetarians, chicken fry or chicken curry would be the best and it tastes really great and heavenly!!!
"Your comments are valuable here"