Momos is a type of dumpling native to Nepal. Some even say its origin is from Tibet and china. It is a great and healthy starter. They are popular appetizers on India. It is typically served with red hot chili sauce.
They are made with all purpose flour and filling can be made using vegetables, chicken or mutton. You can make it with many options. It is commonly available in streets and food stalls.
Nutrition per servings:
The nutrients are counted for 1 piece/per serving.
Preparation timings: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
Cooking time: 20minutes
Ingredients for momos recipe:
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Corn flour Salt to taste 300g Chicken mince
- 1 cup Carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup Cabbage finely chopped
- 1 cup Fresh mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 cup Bean sprouts finely chopped
- 1 cup Spring onions finely chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger chopped Garlic chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 2 tbsp Soya sauce
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 medium Green chillies finely chopped
- 1 Egg 2 tbsp Oil 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp White pepper powder 1/4 tsp MSG (optional)
Method for Momos Recipe :
Start with the dough preparation. In a bowl add all purpose flour, corn flour, salt, oil and little water. Knead the dough into thick form. Keep it aside for half an hour with a wet cloth covered on the vessel.
- For the filling, take a pan. Add oil and saute with chopped ginger and garlic. Then add chopped green chilies and all the chopped vegetables. Let it cook in high flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices. Black pepper, white pepper, red chili powder. And then soya sauce, msg and vinegar.
- Once the vegetables turn the raw color, add chicken mince.
- Saute until the chicken loses its foul smell.
- Keep the flame low and close the lid. Let it cook till the chicken tender for about 20 minutes.
- Once the mixture is done with cooking, cool down and add one egg and mix it together.
- Now take the dough and divide in small equal balls.
- Roll each dough in small circle of 1/2 inch and put the soggy mixture in the center.
- Then fold it in fancy molds. The typical ones are in the twisted swirls.
- Repeat the same for all the balls.
- Steam the momos in a steamer or
- In a deep vessel, add some water. Keep a bowl upside down
- In another bowl, grease well. Keep the momos apart so that they dont stick together when they are cooked.
- Wrap the bowl with aluminum foil. Keep the bowl inside the water vessel
- Close the lid
- Let it cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Take them out. Once cooled, serve with hot chili garlic sauce.
"Your comments are valuable here"