Heart attack or myocardial infarction is the deadly disease which leads to the death of any human. The heart attack symptoms in women and men vary depending upon the various reasons. The Best Cardiologist in Hyderabad describes the below information considered from their experience.
How Heart attack affects Women?
Heart diseases are caused due to the hard substance in the heart called as plaque which builds in the coronary arteries or in the heart blood vessels. Plaque is made up of bad cholesterol which blocks the blood flow to the heart. If the heart cannot get enough amounts of oxygen and other nutrition components, a heart attack occurs.
According to American College of Cardiologist, about 8 million women are suffered from heart attacks or angina which is a chest pain caused due to lack of oxygen levels in the heart.
Does heart attack signs and symptoms are different from both men and woman?
There are several common symptoms in both men and women. These symptoms purely depend upon age, gender and the geographical location they are living in along with the lifestyle they are following. Best cardiologist in Hyderabad India explains the major different factors in both men and women.
Signs of heart attack in women:
Women heart attack symptoms are various types. The following are seen commonly in women.
- Chest pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sudden Fatigue or long duration of fatigue from several days
- Cold Sweating all over the body
- Pain in both the arms, jaws and back
- Breathing difficulties
- Sleeping disorders
- Indigestion or gas - like feeling
- Throat pain
Heart attack in women after age 50:
Heart attack also occurs depending upon age and gender of the human along with the healthy lifestyle they are living in. Basically, during the age of 50 women face various physical changes as they go through menopause. This will lead to decrease in hormonal estrogen.
It is believed and proved that estrogen helps to protect the heart. Thus, at the age of 50 due to a decrease in estrogens heart risk factors will increase.
According to the best Interventional cardiologist in Hyderabad Women are more likely to face death due to heart attack when compared to men. The women heart attack symptoms are same as the normal signs and symptoms. Hence, be more cautious with the women above 50 years of age.
Statistics of Female heart attacks:
- 95% of the women get weeks or even months before getting a heart attack.
- 70% cases are caused majorly due to severe fatigue.
- 50% women don't felt any chest pain at the time of heart attack.
- 48% people are affected by heart attack due to sleep disorders.
Risk factors o a heart attack in woman:
The risk factors include various sorts of diseases and defects. These factors are divided into the below categories depending upon their functionality.
- Women with the age above 60 are majorly affected by heart attack.
- Genetic from any of the family members might lead to heart attack or other heart-related diseases.
- Being overweight compared to age is also one of the major factors of heart attacks
- Person without healthy life and unusual habits are also the signs of a stroke in women.
Medical conditions which may lead to heart attacks and other heart diseases:
These diseases if last for long time will lead to heart diseases and some need lifetime treatments. These are rated as the critical risk factors for the heart.
- Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetics
- High level of Cholesterol
- Increase in Blood Pressure
- Chronic Kidney Diseases
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or Depression
- Pregnancy-related diseases.
Foods and other habits that cause heart attack symptoms in Women:
- Stored or Packed veggies: These are stored for a long time in the containers or packed with an excess amount of sodium and added chemicals to make it and look it as fresh ones. These will increase the risk of heart attacks and also major symptoms of heart failure in women. If there is no alternative for stored foods then rinse them thoroughly with lukewarm water and use them.
- Restaurant Soup: These soups are prepared long ago and stored with 9,590 milligrams of sodium which is equivalent to four days usage of sodium. These will insert excess salt into body which increases the heart risk factors.
- Frozen meals: These days people are opting for frozen meals especially dinner to managing time due to their busy schedules. But, these produce high-risk factors due to the loss of nutrients and other compounds in the food because of frozenness.
- Ketchup and sauce: Ketchup and sauces are filled with flavored chemicals to make them tasty and look fresh. These are stored foods which increase high blood pressure in the body. Eat in limit and only at occasions to be healthy.
- Fried foods: These foods especially fried chicken contain a high amount of oil which increase bad cholesterol in the body which causes heart blockages and leads to heart attack. These foods can be replaced with grilled foods which will be tasty and healthy.
- Vegetable soups: Vegetable soups without any excess added preservatives, salts, sugar are very good for health. If any of those are added these will increase the chances of irregular heartbeat. Always drink fresh and home-made juices without storing them for a long time.
- Cheese: Cheese is the high sodium content product which if taken on regular basis spoils not only the heart but also other internal organs functionality. The daily eating of cheese will increase fat and leads to obesity which is the root cause of various deadly diseases.
- Desserts: Frozen desserts such as pies, cakes, pastries, ice creams and other bakery items are harmful to health. These are the main source of trans-fat and bad cholesterol which are easily available in the supermarket. Instead of buying them it is preferable to eat foods prepared in a home which is fresh and healthy too.
- Refined grains: These refined grains have more heart risk factors while whole grains help in reducing heart diseases by 20%. In these refined grains, they strip off all the nutrients and other healthy minerals which improve body health. White rice refined grains has a major impact on many women especially in Asia. Always prefer to eat whole grains and be healthy.
- Blended coffee: Blended coffee with added syrup and cream affects negatively on the heart. It contains a high amount of blood sugar which increase in diabetics in the body. As the blood sugar level increases and blood pressure exceeds heart diseases start occurring and cause heart attacks.
All these foods are healthy when eaten in limit and occasionally.
Best Foods for women for healthy Heart:
- Salmon: This fatty fish has super powers to heal heart diseases. It is recommended to eat this food at least thrice a week. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and anti-inflammations which protects heart functionality and reduces heart attack risk and makes arteries healthy.
- Dark Chocolate: Many studies proved that consuming dark chocolates are healthy and keeps the heart in its shape if someone is not having. Eat maximum 2 times a week to improve your heart health. It is filled with polyphenols, flavanols and other healthy compounds which regulate heart functionality.
- Walnuts: Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids and other antioxidants which protect the heart and relates heart beat. Add these in your diet and eat ones in a day to be healthy. This also has the power to control breast cancer and prevent other health diseases.
- Garlic: Garlic has amazing benefits. Add them to your daily diet. Eat one raw garlic every day. It majorly works around people of 50-60 age groups both in flavor and healthy way. It contains phytochemicals which even control blood pressure. It also reduces plaque formed in the heart. Add 3-4 pieces of garlic in your meals.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil contains healthy fats which help in regularizing heart beat and makes food healthy and tasty. Add olive oil in your meals especially in salads and for garnishing. It lowers and clears all the bad cholesterol from the body because of the monounsaturated elements present in it.
- Apples: It's a fact that apple has the special powers to reduce several major and minor diseases if eaten at least one apple a day. It reduces all the heart diseases and controls fat. It also lowers blood pressure and diabetics. Eat 1 apple every day to stay healthy and lead a happy life.
- Beans: Beans of all varieties are healthy to heart. These contain healthy fat unlike the animal unhealthy fat. A legume has the power to reduce heart diseases by 20%. Consuming a 3/4th cup of beans everyday reduce cholesterol levels in the body and removes bad cholesterol.
- Oatmeals: Oats are fiber rich content foods when eaten with proper diet has the ability to remove the heart blockages caused due to bad cholesterol and protects heart from various diseases. It even reduces diabetics of both type 1 and type 2.
- Berries: Berries are rich in vitamins, nutrients, and other minerals. Blueberries have the capacity to fight and cure heart diseases and prevent them from not occurring. It is filled with antioxidants and other powerful components which help in protecting heart and other organs of the body. Eat minimum of one time every week.
- Green Tea: It can cure and prevent even cancer. Drinking green tea at least ones in a day will cure heart diseases and reduce the risk factors of heart attacks. It regulates heart beat. It is filled with rich antioxidants, nutrients, and other powerful minerals.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are low calories foods and are very good source of potassium, nutrition, and other amazing factors. Choose properly while eating mushrooms because all the breeds may not be good for health. Prefer to eat fresh mushrooms but not stored for long time.
- Beets or Root Vegetables: Beet roots and carrots are very healthy foods. Add them to your diet. Eat raw and fresh ones daily. It contains betaine pigment which controls inflammations and are rich in antioxidant properties. These will clear the wastes and other harmful oxidants from the body.
- Peppers: Peppers contain vitamins and other properties which protect heart from blockages. Add pepper in your diet instead of chili powder. Peppers such as green pepper and red pepper are also recommended to use in meals as they are rich in vitamin c.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds contain a high amount of antioxidants and other minerals which help in reducing and removing bad cholesterol and other wastes from the body. It also helps in improving the digestive system. Consume flax seeds ones in a day.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is the best food which is chosen worldwide by the best pediatric cardiologist in Hyderabad and recommended by many dieticians. It helps in every aspect to keep heart and body healthy and it improves the internal body functionality. It can be added to the diet and eaten anytime.
Fact about women heart diseases:
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death especially in women worldwide.
- The No.1 affected country is the USA.
- 1 in every4 females is dying due to heart attack.
- There are very less chances of survival for women compared to men during heart attack.
- Stress and strain are also considered as the main cause of heart attack in females.
- Female heart attack symptoms are different when compared to men.
- About two-thirds of women who die due to heart attack doesn't have any prior symptoms of heart failure in women.
- 5.8% of white women, 7.6% of Black women and 5.6% of Mexican women are suffering from coronary heart diseases and their risk factors of heart attack are high.
Tests and Diagnosis for heart attack:
Test and Diagnosis of heart attack are same as compared to men. These tests are done to identify heart problems, coronary heart disease, and the heart damage details which help in further treatment and diagnosis. The procedure is same for both the genders. The basic tests conducted when found the symptoms of heart attack are as follows.
- Blood Tests
- Stress Tests
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Electron beam computed tomography (EBT) or ultra CT scan
Treatment and therapy:
Treatment and therapies should be followed as per the best cardiologist surgeon in Hyderabad or the doctor you visit. Consider their recommendations and suggestions and follow accordingly.
Always prefer one doctor for the whole process. Never chose multiple doctors as the treatment and medication process may vary which increases side effects and other problems. Treatments are provided depending upon the condition of the heart. Some need medication to cure and few need surgeries. Click here to know various treatments. Few of the surgeries include the following.
- Cardioversion therapy
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart valve surgery
- Implantable pacemaker
- Heart transplant surgery
What to do if you are having these female heart attack symptoms?
- Call to emergency or ambulance if you feel these symptoms.
- Do not hesitate to make a call inform your beloved ones.
- Do not be sorry if the symptoms might not lead to severe heart attack; instead, say thanks to being safe.
- Always follow safety measures and be on regular medication if you are affected by heart attack or heart-related diseases in past.
"All suggestions are welcome and appreciated"