occurs when the nutrients are not properly extracted and absorbed from food during the digestion process or by the gastrointestinal tract.This can result in a deficiency of vitamins, proteins, minerals, carbohydrates and other nutrients that are important for growth and regulation of body system.
Principle of diet:
A high calorie, high protein, low fat, low fiber, simple carbohydrates, high vitamins, and minerals should be provided.
- Small peptide-based diet may be beneficial. Smooth and soft foods avoiding irritating roughage should be given.
- In some cases, life-long avoidances of particular food or food constituents may be needed in celiac disease or lactose intolerance
- Easily digested sugars should be provided in the diet through fruits and vegetables.
- Very spicy food should be avoided.
- Supplements of vitamins and iron should be given. Iron supplements should be provided in the form of tablets.
Foods to be included for Malabsorption diet:
Milk, buttermilk, lean meat( trimmed well of fat), eggs, fish, corn, rice, buckwheat, pancakes, muffins, potatoes, cornmeal, fruit juices etc can be given.
Foods to be avoided for Malabsorption diet:
Malted milk, fat meals, wheat, rye, oats, barley, and other products containing this cereal, as they are not tolerated in some cases, noodles, macaroni, spaghetti, soups, and sauces prepared with gluten flour, wheat rye etc should be avoided.
In case of lactose intolerance, lactose-containing foods should be avoided. Especially milk and milk products should be avoided as they contain lactose.
Sample diet plan for malabsorption:
|Early morning||Coconut water||1 Glass|
|Ragi malt||1 Glass|
|Dhal soup||1 Serving|
|Potato curry||1 Katori|
|Tea time||Apple||1 no.|
|Tomato dhal||1 Katori|
|Brinjal curry||1 Katori|
|Egg white||1 no.|
|Bed-time||Orange juice||1 Glass|