Kaddu or lauki is bottle gourd in Hindi. Bottle gourd is rich in calcium and iron. Kaddu ki kheer is also rich in vitamin c. It has 0% cholesterol and fat. Kaddu ki kheer is a sweet and liquidy dessert prepared in India. It is light and easy to make. It is like a sweet pudding .The method of kaddu ki kheer is similar to any other kheer. It is prepared by mixing grated kaddu with milk and sugar. Savour the kheer with chopped nuts such as almonds, cashews and raisins as garnish. You can even add Tukmari (basil seeds) to quench your crave for real kheer. This kheer is prepared traditionally during navratri festival celebrated in northern India.
Nutrition per serving:
Serving size for 160.5g and based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Preparation timings: 20 MINUTES
Serves: Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for kaddu ki kheer:
|Kaddu (Bottle gourd)||1/2 of long one peeled and grated|
|Khoya (Mava)||4tbsp, grated|
|Sugar||According to taste|
|Cashew nuts||8 chopped|
|Chironji nuts (charoli)||16|
|Green color||a pinch|
Method for kaddu ki kheer a Healthy dessert:
- Wash and peel the kaddu and divide them into two. Clean the soft and mushy part (seeds) using knife.
- Using grater, grate the thick part and keep it aside. Use the bigger sized hole grater.
- Squeeze out the water with the help of your palms.
- In a saucepan, heat 500ml of milk. Let it boil and thicken the milk to pale yellow in color.
- Chop all the nuts and keep them aside.
- Soak handful of tukmari seeds in a bowl of water
- In a pan add 1/2 tsp of ghee and sauté the nuts until golden brown.
- Make a fine powder of cardamoms along with a pinch of sugar.
- Grate the khoya and keep them aside.
- In another saucepan, add ghee. When it becomes hot add grated kaddu and sauté till the raw smell goes away. Fry in high flame till the moisture evaporates.
- Simmer it and keep for few minutes.
- Now add condensed milk and the thickened milk. Stir well with kaddu.
- Let it cook slowly and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add a pinch of artificial green color.
- Close the lid and cook in simmer flame for five minutes.
- When the kaddu has cooked in the mixture add powdered cardamom and sugar.
- Then add grated khoya and mix well.
- Add some fried nuts and keep some aside.
- Let it cool for an hour or keep in refrigerator.
- Once it cools pour in the serving bowls and garnish with nuts and tukmari seeds.
- Kaddu ki kheer is ready to serve.
- You can serve hot as well.