Paralysis is a disease in which complete loss of muscle function for one or more muscle groups has been seen. It has also been seen that the area affected by the paralysis may lose the power of feeling, it means, sensory loss may be observed in the affected area. It can affect the people completely or partially as well.
One side or both sides of the body of the people may be affected by it. Any specific area of the body may have effect of paralysis. It is a disease that can be generalized localized, or it may also be of a certain pattern. Damage to nervous system is also known as spinal cord injury and is a common factor that is responsible for paralysis in most of the people. However, several other factors trigger a different sort of paralysis or periodic paralysis like sleep paralysis.
Types of Paralysis
It is such a common disease that almost all of us can see at least one or more people with paralysis near us.
- When the opposite side of brain is damaged, it causes paralysis of muscles of the leg, arm, and face on the one side of paralysis and is called Hemiplegia.
- If the both lower limbs are affected by the paralysis, this sort of paralysis is called Paralegia.
- Quadriplegia affects both legs as well as both arms.
Note: People can be affected by paralysis permanently or temporarily.
- Muscles make our body move.
- The nervous system that gives and receives messages from the all body parts controls these muscles or tissues.
- Whenever these nerve cells or neurons that have control over muscles are injured or diseased, a person becomes unable to move the muscles willingly.
- How much and where the spinal cord has been damaged, causes the disability of different parts of the body.
- It may make people unable not only to move but also to talk and breathe as well.
- People who get a physical injury while playing or in an accident, may be affected by this disease.
- Moreover, poisoning, blocked blood vessels, tumors, infections can also be the cause of paralysis.
- However, it has been seen in rare cases that people get it without any physical injury. Psychologists say, it happens because of conversion disorder. In such conditions, the psychological anxiety of people is converted into physical signs of paralysis.
- The symptoms may be different; people may be paralyzed suddenly, if it is affected by the crush of the spinal cord.
- Some gradual symptoms can be noticed such as people can often feel weak and suffer from muscle fatigue.
- Numbness, tingling, changes in vision, pain, difficulty of speech, and problem with balance are some of the other symptoms that are also noticed.
- Disability of bladder, sexual organs, and bowel are also some of the signs that come into existence because of the spinal cord injury.
- In the high spinal cord injury, people feel difficulties in breathing. Some other signs are changes in personality, mood, and behavior, loss of consciousness or confusion for even a short moment, drooling, difficulty with thinking, comprehension, talking, memory, reading as well as writing.
- It has also been noticed that people may suffer from constipation, fever, loss or change of vision, neck pain, severe headache, diarrhea, hearing loss, nausea, and the rush.