Hives are caused all over the skin and spread throughout the body. These can be caused due to different issues and the main cause is the allergic skin reactions which can be cured by natural home remedies for hives. It is estimated that around 10-20% of people any type of hives in their lifetime and many are cured by following home remedies for hives without treatment.
What are Hives?
Hives are also known as Urticaria. These are red bumps or rashes which appear suddenly on the skin. It can start in a smaller size and can expand for few diameters. Generally, hives can be easily cured by the home remedies for hives when it is in its starting stage.
Types of Hives:
- Acute Hives
- Chronic hives
- Ordinary hives
- Physical hives
- Dermatographic hives
Causes of Hives:
The skin reactions are the causes of hives which includes the following.
- Bites caused infection by insects or pesticides.
- Skin Infections.
- Excess heat or cold to the body.
- Exposure to the sun.
- Eating junk or unhealthy foods.
- Alcohol Consumption.
- Wearing tight accessories or clothes which cause pressure on the skin.
Signs and symptoms of Hives:
- Swelling on the skin in red or skin color welts (also known as wheals)
- Wheals are usually in round or oval in shape which can expand bigger, spread, joins together to form a giant hive.
- These can disappear and reappear within minutes or hours of time.
- Continuous and serious itching happens and it spread all over the body.
- Redness or itching for several days.
Risk Factors of Hives:
The risk factors which are mentioned below can be cured or reduced by home remedies for hives.
- Women are affected twice more than men
- Effect on Blood transfusions or blood products
- Effects on health conditions such as thyroid or lupus.
- Increases skin infections or skin diseases.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Hives:
1.Ice cubes: Many skin and allergy specialists suggest giving cold compression to get rid of hives. The cold temperature shrinks the blood vessels and blocks histamine which prevents hives infection.
- Wrap ice cubes in a cloth and place it on the infected area every now and then throughout the day till the rashes reduce.
- Take shower with cold water and avoid warm water.
2.Aloe Vera: It contains anti-inflammable and anti-bacterial properties which maintain healthy skin and reduces itchiness and redness.
- Extract aloe vera paste from the plant and apply to the affected area. Let it dry and then rinse with cold water.
- You can either eat aloe vera directly or drink juice every day to maintain proper health.
3.Baking Soda: Baking soda has amazing results on hives prevention. It contains properties which reduce and kills the infection. This is considered as the best home remedies for hives.
- Take warm water in a bathtub and add 1 cup of baking soda to it. Soak yourself for minimum 30 min and take a normal shower.
- Take a bowl of water and add baking soda to make a thick paste. Apply this paste to the affected area and leave it for 30 min and clean with warm water.
4.Oatmeal: Oatmeal is not only amazing healthy diet food but also amazing remedy for its properties such as anti-irritating, anti-inflammation and its smoothing properties will give relief from itching.
- In warm water tub add 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of grounded oatmeal mixture and soak yourself for half an hour and take a normal shower.
- Mix oatmeal and cornstarch together with enough water to make it into a thick paste. Apply this to the hives affected area. Wait till 20-30 min and wash it with warm water.
5.Ginger: Ginger is the magical home remedy available easily in every house. It is a wonder drug which has anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. It improves skin health condition by decreasing itching, redness, and swelling and gives relief from the skin.
- Start drinking ginger tea, and chew raw ginger every day.
- You can even soak ginger in honey and eat few times a day.
- Peel the ginger skin refrigerates it for cooling effect. Dab that ginger in affected area.
6.Turmeric: Turmeric contains natural properties which can heal any disease or infection totally. It also acts as anti-bacterial and contains anti-histamine, anti-oxidant properties.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric in warm milk and drink twice a day.
- Add turmeric supplements and turmeric powder in your daily meals for healthy life.
7.Nettle: Herbalists or ayurvedic specialists recommended nettle for prevention of skin infections.
- Start drinking nettle tea.
- Add dried leaves to water and boil it and add honey, drain it and drink twice a week.
- There are nettle capsules available which should be taken under doctor's prescription.
8.Basil: Basil is very effective in treating hives. IT can end itching and inflammation it is taken regularly and prevents any skin infections.
- Add dried basil leaves to warm water jar and keep it to cool. Take cotton and dab in the affected area multiple times a day.
- Crush basil leaves and apply that on infected area.
9.Mint: Mint has cooling effects which reduce, itching, redness, and burning sensation of the infection in very less time.
- Add mint leaves to water and boil it. Cool it and wash the hives area with this water regularly.
- Boil mint leaves and adds sugar to it. Drink this twice a day.
10.Apple Cider Vinegar: We all know the amazing health benefits of apple cider vinegar and is considered as the best home remedies for hives. Its properties regulate the immune system and reduce hives and also maintain overall health condition.
- Add apple cider in warm water and soak yourself in it for 20-30 min twice a day.
- Dilute ACV with warm water and wash on affected area thrice a day.
- Add lemon and honey to one glass of warm water and drink twice a day.
Treatments for Hives :
Mild-hives can be prevented without treatment. But if it becomes severe, the treatments may include the following which is recommended by the doctor depending on individual health condition. It provides the following medications.
- H-2 antagonists
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Topical creams and lotions
- Oral antihistamines
To avoid side-effects many specialists suggest using natural home remedies for hives treatment.
Tips to get rid of hives:
- Eat healthy and organic food
- Maintain proper diet
- Do not skip any of the meals
- Avoid excess alcohol and smoking
- Stop eating preserved, stored foods
- Always keep your body and skin clean healthy
- Do everyday work out and Follow yoga and exercises
- Always choose home remedies for hives or other diseases.
Eat Healthily! Keep skin and Body clean! Stay Happy!
We would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give some feedback on this article
Author's Bio: Ashreetha Pendkar Is a Healthcare writer, trainer and Digital marketing expert, she loves to read healthcare content and spreading her words about the importance of the health to near & dears.