Spondylitis occurs due to the inflammation of one or two vertebrae in the spinal cord. It is one of the most common disease-causing backache and neck pain. The disease is not detected and often gets unnoticed until it causes severe pain. The pain is seen primarily around the cervical area of the neck and it goes down to the shoulder and lowers back.
There are three types of spondylitis:
- Cervical spondylitis in which the cervical spine is affected and the pain is spread at the back of the neck.
- lumbar spondylitis in which pain is mostly felt in the lumbar region
- Ankylosing spondylitis, in which stiffness is seen in the joints of the jaw, neck, shoulders, knees, and hips.
What causes spondylitis?
There is no specific cause of spondylitis but factors such as genes, lifestyle, and the surrounding environment can play a major role in developing spondylitis.
Symptoms of spondylitis
- Continuous and severe pain is observed in the lower back region, hips, and buttocks. The pain does not stop and continues for 3 to 4 months.
- Overgrowth of bones can be seen causing bony fusion which affects the area near the neck, back, or hips and can cause problems in doing day to day activities.
- You will feel pain in the ligaments and tendons that are attached to the bones.
Treatments of spondylitis
- Massage therapy can provide temporary relief against the pain
- Physiotherapy reduces pain and stiffness and improves flexibility.
- Traction is used in acute cases for a cure.
- Various Yoga asana provides relief in spondylitis.
- Other remedies include a healthy diet, having an erect posture, light exercises, and a comfortable bed.
Thanks for reading this article share your comments on this Post