You are diagnosed with cancer, is a most devastating statement one could face. Cancer is a terrible disease that not only ends up one’s lives but also ruins their loved one’s lives.Though they are many advancements in the medical industry, still, a vast number of people are dying every year because of cancer.
The query here raises is why we are letting this to happen? And how to reduce the cancer risks? You are at right niche to get all the required information and its preventive measures.
Statistics of Cancer Patients in India
According to the latest medical research, over 17.3 lakh individuals are likely to be diagnosed with cancer by 2020 in India and the occurrences of deaths due to cancer is expected to be over 8.8 lakh.Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), says that in 2016 the count of cancer cases is likely to be around 14.5 lakh, and the number is expected to reach almost 17.3 lakh in 2020.
Further, in 2016, more than 7.36 lakh people are probably to succumb to the disease, while the number is estimated to reach 8.8 lakh by 2020. The study also revealed that the only 12.5 percent of patients come for treatment during the early stages of cancer. Presumably, females mostly experience breast cancer and male experience mouth cancer.
What is Cancer?
Cancer is a type of disease characterized by uncontrolled cell growth. There exist 100 varied types of cancer, and each one is categorized based on the type of cell affected initially. Cancer damages the body when the transformed cells split nonstop and form lumps or masses of tissue known as tumors.
They may grow & impede the nervous, digestive and circulatory systems, and release hormones that change body functioning. Usually, tumors that halt in one place and show limited growth are considered to be benign.
Unknown Facts about Cancer
- One of the leading causes of death and illness across the globe is cancer.
- According to the sources, over 575,000 people die because of cancer, and over 1.5 million people get diagnosed with cancer each year in the US.
- The risk of cancer can be reduced with few lifestyle changes such as maintaining a healthy diet and fitness, quitting tobacco, restricting alcohol intake, restrictive exposure to UV ray and tanning beds.
- Regular screening helps in identifying colorectal cancer, breast cancer, and cervical cancer at early stage.
- Vaccination such as human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine aids in preventing cancers such as cervical cancer, vulvar cancer, vaginal cancer and oral cancers. Also, hepatitis B vaccine reduces the risk of liver cancer.
- World Health Organization (WHO) says that, the count of cancer cases is likely to increase by around 70% in the coming 20 years
- Among men, prostate cancer, lung cancer, rectum cancer, colon cancer, stomach cancer and liver cancer is mostly seen.
- Among women breast cancer, colon cancer, rectum cancer, lung cancer, cervix cancer and stomach cancer is mostly seen.
Causes of Cancer?
Cancer is caused by substances known as carcinogens - a chemical substance, such as few molecules present in tobacco smoke. Cancer may also be caused due to environmental agents, viral or other genetic factors. However, in many cases, we can’t trait the disease to a single cause.
The following are the other risk factors for Cancer:
- Biological factors, like gender, age, inherited genetic defects & skin type
- Environmental exposure to UV radiation
- Occupational risk factors, subsuming carcinogens like many radioactive materials, chemicals, and asbestos
- Lifestyle-related factors such as tobacco and alcohol consumption.
Cancer spreading and how to stop it
Cancer cells spread due to adhesion properties. Few molecular interactions between cells & scaffolding hold them and cause them to become released at the original tumor site, they become extricated, move on & then reattach at the new site.
According to the medical experts, cancer death is due to metastatic tumors that grow and travel to another part of the body and known as secondary tumors. Cancer mortality caused due to primary tumors is only 10%. Scientists say that cancer spreading can be stopped by interfering with metastatic disease and stop the growth of secondary tumors.
Preventive measures for cancer
If you are concerned about cancer prevention, then start making changes to your lifestyle and kick-off cancer. The following are the Preventive measures for cancer.
- Quit tobacco
- Prefer to intake a healthy diet such as fresh vegetables, fruits, and limited processed meat
- Maintain proper and healthy weight & remain active
- Protect from the sun in order to avoid skin Cancer. Always ensure to avoid midday sun, stay in shade, Avoid tanning beds and cover exposed areas
- Be immunized by taking proper vaccinations in time
- Undergo regular screening
- Avoid risky behaviors such as unsafe sex and using shared needles injected to other disease affected a person.
Your Comments are valuable in this Post