This article mainly describes about the key points such as what is thrombolytic therapy what is it used for and what are the guidelines and many other major aspects. Thrombolytic therapy for stroke or others is a drug which is used to dissolve clots from the blood vessels which are the main cause of Heart attacks, strokes, brain stroke which leads to paralysis and other major health issues.
What is Thrombolytic Therapy?
Thrombolytic Therapy also is known as thrombolysis is a treatment to dissolve critical clots from the blood vessels for the regular, smooth flow of the blood. This Thrombolytic therapy for stroke or others uses a drug which should be given within few hours of stroke or heart attack to control the body functionality. A Blood clot may occur in any parts of the body and if not treated at the proper time it may cause critical damage to those body parts which leads to deadly defects. Many types of research suggest and proved that using this thrombolytic therapy at the correct time can prevent various life-threatening diseases and also can amazingly reverse the paralysis caused due to brain damage.
What is Thrombolytic Therapy for stroke?
Generally, Thrombolytic therapy for stroke are caused due to the formed blood clots in the brain area or the blood clots which are moved to the blood vessel in the brain blocks the blood flow and cause severe damage to the health which may lead to brain dead, paralysis, heart attacks or strokes, etc. The Thrombolytic therapy for stroke is generally known as Ischemic Strokes. These can be solved with thrombolytic therapy which helps in quick blood dissolve from brain. If the thrombolysis treatment is given within few hours after stroke it reduces brain dead, damage to the body, decreases the chances of disability, avoids paralysis caused due to brain dead, etc.
The decision of thrombolytic treatment is finalized depending on the following factors:
- Brain CT scan to check internal bleeding in the brain
- Physical exam on various aspects that shows stoke significance.
- Medical history, health condition also considered.
What is Thrombolytic Therapy Agent or what is Thrombolytic Agent?
Drugs used in Thrombolytic Therapy:
The thrombolytic drug used in therapy is known as thrombolytic agents. These drugs are given in the form of injections to dissolve blood clots in the body. There is a variety of drugs used in Thrombolytic Therapy which used to treat blood clots and dissolve them formed in the various parts of the body. Below are the drugs listed used for the treatment of therapy.
- Alteplase (Activase)
- Anistreplase (Eminase)
- Streptokinase (Streptase, Kabikinase)
- Urokinase (Abbokinase)
- Tissue plasminogen activator (TPA)
- Retavase (reteplase)
- TNKase (tenecteplase)
- Abbokinase, Kinlytic (rokinase)
Depending on the circumstances, patient health conditions and the diseases or defects in the body, the treatment is preceded further in the specialist doctors.
What is Thrombolytic Therapy Dosage of the Drugs?
The Dosage of the drugs purely depends on the purpose of the treatment, patient health condition, in some cases patient's weight can also be considered to treat with proper therapy.
Precautions of Thrombolytic Therapy:
- This treatment should be given immediately within few hours of heart attack or stroke.
- All the patients may not suitable for this therapy as there are chances of increase in risk factors.
- The final decision of the thrombolytic drug treatment should be of a professional doctor or else it may cost our life.
- It is recommended to get medical help to those who have chances of getting strokes or heart attacks which increase the survival chances and decrease the risk factors.
- Always consider taking the correct dose which suits the body functionality to work properly under the guidance of doctors.
- Do not try to take this therapy without doctor's presence and never do by yourself or by family members.
Medical Conditions which may increase the risk by using thrombolytic agents:
Thrombolytic therapy increases bleeding in the people who may suffer the below-mentioned problems or conditions. Thus, there should be proper medical counseling prior to the treatment and an in-depth discussion regarding the medical procedures if any there or the health conditions.
- Bleeding problems in past or current days.
- Blood disorders
- Heart or blood vessels diseases
- Strokes at any time in the life
- Brain diseases or tumor
- High Blood Pressure
- Liver diseases
- Stomach ulcers or clots
- active tuberculosis
- Recent Pregnant details or delivery details
- Tubes if any placed in the body
- Injections in Blood vessels or other major parts of the body
- Any type of surgeries including dental surgery
Side effects of the therapy:
The side effects vary for every individual.A Person who is treated with thrombolytic therapy may get internal bleeding in the body. They can check bleeding through the below-mentioned symptoms and need to consult a doctor immediately if any of these are seen.
- Blood in the urine
- Blood or Black in stools
- Blood coughing
- Blood vomiting
- Nose bleeds
- Unusual heavy vaginal bleeding
- Severe constant headache
- Swelling or pain in abdomen
Results from the thrombolytic therapy Treatment:
- Usually, Thrombolytic Therapy treatment is successful for many of the people and resulted in healthy life.
- But, many cases proved that around 25% of the patients don't dissolve blood clots formed in the body after the therapy.
- Almost 12% of the people redeveloped blood clots or blockages after the therapy, especially in the blood vessels.
Share this article on "What is Thrombolytic Therapy" among your loved ones and make them aware of the pros and cons of this therapy. Live Happily! Stay Healthy! Subscribe Plus100Years!
"We welcome your comments on this post"
Author's Bio: Ashreetha Pendkar Is a Healthcare writer, trainer and Digital marketing expert, she loves to read healthcare content and spreading her words about the importance of the health to near & dears.