When the main airways within the lungs get inflamed and irritated due to infection, it is known as bronchitis. The major symptom of it is a cough that also brings up phlegm-yellowish grey mucus. It also causes wheezing and sore throat.
A hacking cough is the main bronchitis symptom. Other symptoms include:
- Aches and pains
- Sore throat
- Blocked nose or a runny nose
Who is more at Risk?
It is quite a common condition and affects millions of people every year. Mostly young children, elderly people, and infants are at the risk of acute bronchitis and people belonging to the other age groups. Although chronic bronchitis can affect anyone, it is more common in adults above 45 years of age, especially in smokers. Women are twice more at risk of being diagnosed with bronchitis than men. People who smoke frequently and also suffer from existing lung ailment are more at risk of it. Also, workers who are regularly exposed to chemical vapors, fumes, and dust are more at risks such as those working in textile manufacturing, coal mining, livestock farming and grain handling. The symptoms of chronic bronchitis worsen due to allergies, infections and air pollution.
Doctors will diagnose it by studying your medical history:
- Whether you have a frequent cough with mucus
- Whether you have suffered from flu or cold
- Whether you smoke or are regularly exposed to fumes and smoke
Tests recommended for final diagnosis include chest X-ray, blood tests, and lung function tests.
Regular bronchitis cases do not require treatment from a healthcare expert. You can manage the symptoms at home. However, medically there is no proper cure for chronic bronchitis except adapting the healthy lifestyle.
- Take lot of rest
- Keep on drinking fluids at frequent intervals to prevent dehydration and ensure thinning of the mucus. This helps to ease coughing and reduce the strain on lungs
- Treat pains, aches, fever, and headaches using proper medications
Diet for Bronchitis
Chronic Bronchitis Diet
- Fresh fruits and citrus fruit juices such as orange, lemon, pineapple
- Should include juicy fruits such as melon, peaches, pears, apples, and grapes in diet
- Avoiding tinned foods, dry fruits, and bananas
- Avoiding processed foods
Acute Bronchitis Diet
- Drink lots of fluid, soups and herbal teas
- Avoid mucus-forming foods such as processed foods, dairy products, sweet fruits, white flour
We welcome your comments on this post