Ragi, also known as finger millet is one of the most important cereals which occupy the highest area under cultivation. Nutritionally, ragi is higher in protein and minerals in comparison to all other cereals and millets.
Being low in fat and gluten free, ragi is easy to digest. Ragi has a cooling effect on the body. So be careful while using it in winter (especially if you are eating it for the first time or eating after a very long time).
A plain Idli transformed into a very healthy and nutritious version by addition of just ragi flour to it. Ragi idli recipe is A healthy breakfast that is full of fiber, filling, and taste. Ragi idli recipe is delicious and preserves more nutrients because it is steam-cooked. It is prepared from ragi flour and urad dal.
Nutrition per serving:
Level of cooking:
- Ragi flour- 2 and ½ cups
- Urad whole dal- 1 cup (soaked in water for 2-3 hours)
- Rice- 1 cup
- Cooking soda- a pinch
- Salt- according to taste
- Capsicum and beans (chopped)- optional
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Oil- 2 tbsps
- Mustard Seeds- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- a handful
- Green Chillies- 2-3(finely chopped)
Method for Ragi Idli Recipe :
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for 2-3 hours. Keep aside in a bowl.
- Soak the rice for an hour before adding it to the urad dal mixture.
- Once the dal is soaked for 2-3 hours drain the excess water and grind to a paste.(If required add few drops of water for easy blending )
- Drain the rice and add it to the dal mixture and combine it well till it becomes a smooth and fluffy paste.
- Now slowly start adding the ragi flour and mix till well combined.
- Cover it and set aside for 6-8 hours or preferably overnight to let the mixture ferment. Note: The fermentation is slow in winter and quick during summer.
- After 6-8 hours the batter will double in volume than the original.
- At this stage add salt, pinch of soda and chopped vegetables (It's up to your liking to include vegetables or u need it vegetable free)
- Meanwhile, start preparing the tempering. Heat oil, add mustard seeds once they start to splutter add a handful of curry leaves and green chilies. Saute for few seconds and add it to the fermented batter.
- Coat each of the idli molds with little oil and fill with idli batter.
- Place the idli stand in the cooker and set the stove to high.
- Let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Check the idli by gently touching the idli with a wet finger. If the idli does not stick to your finger, the idlis are cooked.
- Remove each idli carefully with a spatula.
- Serve it hot with sambhar or chutney of your choice.
Kick start your day with a healthy Indian breakfast dish, RAGI IDLI !!!
Love this recipe? Share it with your near & dears