Tomato upma is a tasty version of upma. It is tangy and spicy made of sooji, tomatoes and spices. They are made for breakfast as they are prepared in short time. The tangy tomatoes have lycopene which is good for health and gives clear skin. The peppy tomato keeps us alive all day when eaten for breakfast. It can be prepared with vegetables and little spices to make it nutritious.
Nutrition per servings in tomato :
Preparation timings: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients in tomato upma:
1 cup sooji
6 tbsp ghee/oil
2 Green chillies chopped
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 medium onions chopped
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 inch ginger chopped into bits
2 medium sized tomatoes- chopped and grinded into puree
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Water 2 cups
1 or 2 dry red chillies broken
Curry leaves 7-8
Bunch of Coriander leaves chopped
Method for Tomato upma :
- First the rava/sooji is roasted in a pan in medium pan. Once it gives brown colour and aroma, switch off the flame
- Keep aside to cool down.
- In another pan, add 6 tbsp of oil or ghee.
- When hot, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add curry leaves and cover the lid so that the oil doesn’t splatter. Next add pinch of asafoetida.
- Put the ginger bits and green chillies. Stir well.
- Saute till it gives nice aroma.
- Then add the broken dry red chillies.
- Onions should be added immediately so that the chillies don’t get burnt.
- Saute for a minute until the onions turn golden brown.
- Till then keep the tomatoes chopped and pureed.
- When the onions turn brown, add the tomato puree and let it cook for two minutes.
- Once the oil starts leaving from sides, simmer it.
- Add the measured water. The water level should be double the quantity of rava.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves to the water.
- Salt can be added to the water and the water should be salty.
- Keep the lid closed for a minute.
- Divide rava in two parts
- Once the water starts boiling, add the roasted rava(half part) to the water.
- Stir immediately without any stop.
- Then add the remaining of rava to the water.
- Stir it quickly to avoid forming any lumps.
- The rava slowly absorbs the water content and swells up.
- Add a handful of chopped coriander leaves.
- Simmer it and close the lid.
- Let it cook in steam for two to three minutes.
- After two minutes, switch off the flame.
- Don’t open immediately.
- After a minute open the lid and serve with chutney or pickles.
- You can add dollop of ghee on each serving to get melting taste.
Now Enjoy This Upma with Your Family