There are a variety of millet accessible as India is the largest producer of millet after Africa and China.Sorghum (jowar), foxtail millet, finger millet (ragi), pearl millet (bajra), barnyard millet, kodo millet, little millet, and proso millet are some of the varieties that are available.
Sorghum (jowar) is one of the favored millets for weight loss. Foxtail millet is rich in smart carbohydrates, which aids in keeping the blood sugar levels at a lower level.
It also helps in constipation and other problems with digestion. Barnyard millet has 6 times more fiber than wheat, which helps maintain satiety.
Kodo millet is rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants, which help prevent major lifestyle diseases.
For healthy living, it is essential to include millet in our daily diet. Some of the benefits gained from millets are as follows:
- Millet prevents constipation by keeping the colon hydrated.
- It is easy to digest because it is alkaline.
- Because of the high protein content in millet, it makes a good substitute for a vegetarian diet.
- It helps in detoxification. Quercetin, curcumin, ellagic acid, and various other beneficial catechins present in millet can help clean up toxins from your body.
- According to research, fiber is the best way to prevent the onset of breast cancer. With fiber content in millets being high, breast cancer risk is reduced just by consuming more than 30 grams of fiber.
- High levels of magnesium are found in millet, which helps reduce the chance of type 2 diabetes.
- As millets are rich in magnesium, it is helpful in reducing blood pressure and the risk of heart attack or stroke.
- It acts as a vasodilator by keeping blood pressure levels low as it is rich in potassium.
- Cholesterol levels are reduced because of the high fiber levels in millets.
- It helps in keeping the mind calm because of the serotonin in millet.
- It is gluten-free and also non-allergenic.
- By consuming millet, it decreases the triglycerides and C-reactive protein.
- The health benefits of fruits and vegetables are at par with the health benefits of millet.
- It helps prevent gallstones because of the high fiber content.
Despite the health benefits of millet, consuming large portions of millet is not advisable as it contains a small number of goitrogenic substances that lead to goiter.
It is better to consult a healthcare physician before adding millet to the diet to determine the correct portions required and not go overboard with the consumption of millet.
Thanks for reading this article share your comments on this Post